VOLUNTEERING IN UGANDA TERMS & CONDITIONS
- We only admit volunteers who are 18 years and above, unless the child / minor is volunteering along with a parent or guardian.
- All volunteers are required to have adequate volunteer travel insurance and provide a criminal background check to our team on arrival in Uganda.
VIU does not issue any insurance cover of any kind to the volunteers. Travel insurance cover is mandatory for every volunteer, and they can purchase this before departure for the trip. The volunteer is solely responsible for evaluating and determining the type, extent and levels of any insurance coverage they need or desire for their planned volunteer period. This insurance should cover the entire travel duration.
Our rates for the program and registration are very affordable, if compared to organizations that provide similar or related volunteer services. As a result, VIU is unable to provide and does not provide a total refund policy.
Payment of registration fees confirms a volunteer’s acceptance onto one of our volunteer programs in Uganda.
The registration fee is refundable until 60 days before the start date of the volunteer’s chosen program.
Requests for registration fee refunds must be made only in writing via our official email address, clearly detailing the reasons for cancellation.
Cancellations are subject to the following policies
All cancellation requests must be made in writing and shall be effective on the date of actual receipt by Volunteering in Uganda.
The following cancellation charges shall apply to our volunteering programs in Uganda.
- 59 – 40 days; Volunteering in Uganda shall offer no refund of registration fees. A registration fee credit, less any change fees the volunteer has incurred may be held in their name for a period of twelve months from their earliest registered start date, for future use on another VIU program, subject to program availability and at the discretion of the program Manager.
- On the other hand, volunteers can ask for a registration fee credit to be held in their name for future use on any VIU program, subject to availability, for a period of 12 months from their earliest registered start date. This credit may be issued less the value of any change fees the volunteer has incurred.
- 39 days or less; no refund of registration fees is available. A registration fee credit may be held in their name for 12 months from their earliest registered start date subject to availability, provided program fees have been paid in full by their due date.
If program fees have not been paid, the volunteer can request for their registration fee to be held in credit for 12 months by paying a late cancellation fee of $150.
Please note, this timetable will vary depending on a respective project the volunteer is undertaking.
1st Day: On your first day of volunteering, you will be escorted to your placement area by a local coordinator and introduced to the placement staff you will be working with
Weekdays: The approximate working time for our volunteers is between 3 – 5 hours per day and a typical daily timetable is here below:
7.00 AM – Breakfast at the volunteer residence, by the local cook.
7.30 AM – Travel to respective placement areas either by taxi, walking or Boda – Boda depending on the distance. Start time and daily workload depends on the project that the individual volunteer is undertaking.
1.00 PM – Lunch break; Volunteers can arrange to carry their packed lunch or food can be delivered to their respective placement areas (according to prior arrangements).
After lunch, volunteers can continue with work (where applicable).
3.00 PM – 4.00 PM – official work at the area of placement ends. Volunteers are free to return to the home and plan for the next day’s activities or have the free evening for leisure.
7.00 PM – 8:00 PM – Supper prepared and served at the volunteer home by a local cook.